Monday, November 18, 2013

A Fashion Professional: Grace Coddington

Former 60's model and Vogue's Creative Director, Grace Coddington one of many in the fashion industry on my "people I would be honored to meet" list. I've read many articles about her and have seen numerous interviews of her, and when watching live-stream of Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week on-line, I can always expect to see this long hair red head sitting front row at the runway shows. When doing my research for this post, I came across fashion photos I had admired in the past not knowing I was glowing over Grace Coddington in her modeling days. 

Grace Coddington at her 2009 "The Catwalk Cats" book signing

In 1968 she joined British Vogue as Junior Fashion Editor until December of 1986. She moved to New York in 1987 to become Design Director for Calvin Klein Collection and in 1988 joined US Vogue as Fashion Director.  In 1995 she was named Creative Director of US Vogue - now in her Seventies - is one of the most respected figures in the fashion industry.
Grace Coddington - Photo by Terence Donovan, 1964

Grace launched her career as a model at the age of 18 until a car accident forced her to have two years of reconstructive surgery. She re-launched her career becoming one of the most successful models of the 1960's. For more on her life check out http://www.vogue.com/voguepedia/Grace_Coddington.
Here modeling for Italian Vogue, 1966
Grace Coddington modeling a lovely wool coat - Photo by John French

No comments:

Post a Comment